Tuesday, May 10, 2011


Tis my faith that every flower
Enjoys the air it breathes!
"Lines Written in Early Spring,"
~William Wordsworth, 
 Lyrical Ballads, 1798
pic: flickr


Utah is experiencing a strange and rare spring...meaning  it cant decide how to behave!!
Its cold and wet one day and then the next its hot and windy or windy and cold.
But the fruits of this behavior has got to be the greenest desert I can ever remember savoring!!
This morning the wildflowers were resplendent!!!
And since I was strolling this morning...with a dear guest with new blisters...I had time pull out my trusty wildflower book and do some "research."
The above bloom is called- Scarlet Gaura. (havent a clue how to pronounce it.)
Its a dainty little flower...it has no call to live and thrive in the desert...but it does!!! And  its showy to boot!  And as most desert flowers seem to be..it has unique attributes that help it to survive here in this harsh climate.
My Audubon wildflower book taught me that this flower is white when it newly opens and that it attracts night-flying moths which are its primary pollinators.  By early the next day, the flowers are pink, and the color intensifies throughout the morning hours. The flower remains open for less than a day.
Fancy That!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment