Friday, October 2, 2009

HIKING AT SAND MOUNTAIN

If the desert is holy, it is because
it is a forgotten place that allows
us to remember the sacred. Perhaps that
is why every pilgrimage to the desert
is a pilgrimage to the self. There
is no place to hide, and so we are found.
from: Refuge
by: Terry Tempest Williams


Its been over 2 years since I've had the opportunity to hike in the deep, delicious sand at a place we lovingly call "Sand Mountain."
It was my chance in introduce its beauty to my son and and to dear friends and new owners of Desert Cliffs Resort and Spa!!
I strapped on my beloved hiking sandals and waited in sweet anticipation to get moving. I felt confident that the trail would look familiar and be all that I remembered it to be.
The first half of the hike went well. I got us easily down to the green, vibrant Virgin River. This is the only hike in our repertoire that involves flowing water!! There's something special about a river flowing through a desert!!
But then....to find my way back....was another matter. We were never lost per say....but I came out somewhere wholly unexpected!!! What does this mean??
I get to go back and do it again!!! Before I attempt to take a guest out there...I have to be sure!!
Shucks!!! I'm gunna do it again!!! Wanna come??!!

Hiking shoes required!!
Coral dust inevitable!!

No comments:

Post a Comment