Saturday, October 10, 2009

Slots Hike Revisited!!!

"I love the grim gaunt edges of the rocks,
the great bare backbone of the Earth, rough
brows and heaved-up shoulders, round ribs and
knees of the world's skeleton protruded
in lonely places."

from: Heart of the Desert Wild
by: Maynard Dixon


click on the above photo to get a better view of the Indian petroglyphs in the background.
As Im bracing myself for the onslaught of winter....Im happy to revisit these pictures of our glorious spring!! It helps to keep in mind that the winters here in sunny Southern Utah are short, very short in comparison to winters elsewhere!!!
I believe we have seen the last of the lizards for this season. They have burrowed down deep for a short winters nap.
Remember when I promised myself that I would take a geology class....
I think it may be time!!!
I never grow tired of speculating on just what geological upheaval caused this sandstone to be so beautiful!! Every hike shows off a variety of sandstone wonder!!
I've contemplated creating my own book for wildflower recogniction. All the books I have seen thus far have no concept of perspective. There are dozens and dozens of yellow flowers that grace this desert....but they range in size from a respectable sunflower, down to a speck of yellow, with barely decerable petals. A finger, a sandle or a coin would help so much in determining which flower you have the good fortune of gazing upon. Maybe someday.....

No comments:

Post a Comment