Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hiker of the Week

The impossible could not have happened,
therefore the impossible must be
possible in spite of appearances.
from: Murder on the Orient Express
by: Agatha Christie



This is Michelle.
She's been with us at the Ridge for 2 weeks.
I hadnt had the opportunity of hiking with her until Thurs.
Wanna here her story??!!
Wanna hear again why I love my job??!!

A year ago Michelle had a staph infection that attacked her leg via a small cut on her ankle. The flesh eating bacteria went to work on her and she tells us that she was just days away from loosing her beloved leg at the thigh!!! oh my heck!!!

But with what I could only deem another miracle and with the help of modern medicine, she recovered from that horrific experience. Michelle went through the rigors of physical therapy for months and months. She was told that she may not ever walk again normally.
Yet here she is!! A year later, keeping up with the program. She told me that the first time she got on a treadmill in one of our classes she started to cry. Tears of joy and gratitude. She thought she may never be capable to doing any such thing ever again. Thurs. she hike to the top of Third Ravine with me and several other guest. She did great!! She had a smile on her face and slight limp to her gate, but soshe is thrilled and grateful at her progress and with her her come-back!! She still has some "issues" to deal with due to this devastating illness...but once again I find myself so inspired by people and their stories and the trails that some overcome!! Not to mention the witness once again to the marvel that our bodies are in their ability to recover and be healthy...given the chance.
WAY TO GO MICHELLE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment