Saturday, September 26, 2009

To be plain with you, friend,
you dont carry in your
countenance a letter of recommendation.
from: Barnaby Rudge
by: Charles Dickens


Look what I spied on my hike yesterday!!!

Can you guess what it is?
Do you wonder why it is that I knew what it was right away?
(Sometimes I do. I have bizarre stuff locked away in my mind.)

This happens to be a the track of a Sidewinder;
Also known as a horned rattlesnake or properly known as crotalus cerastes.

This tract is evidence of another venomous snake that graces the red rocks and sandy washes of our region.

Wanna know more?

Did you know that when a snake produces their young its called a litter?

How about this visual...sidewinders give birth to live young ones!!!!

Tricky juvenile sidewinders use their tails to attract lizards for their lunch.

The adults loose their taste for lizards but prefer the more delectable rodents of the desert. (ummm....yummy)

Are you wondering if there is any GOOD news about a snake??

How about knowing that the venom from these snakes isnt as "toxic" as that of other rattlers...whew....that is good news.....NOT!!
I say....give ALL rattlers a very with girth!!!
Tread lightly while gathering coral dust between your toes!!!

talk about beady little eyes!!!!!
Down right CREEPY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment